A Couple Cooks is the great cooking website where I found this Kholrabi Fritter recipe. I was craving pasta and had made a batch of Garlic Scape Pesto earlier in the morning. I modified the pesto recipe a bit and used 1/2 scapes and 1/2 basil this time. See how I modified the recipe below to make it pasta friendly!
- 2 kohlrabi peeled thoroughly
- 3 eggs
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- a sprinkle of each: basil, oregano, and parsley
- goat cheese
- garlic scape pesto (see previous post with recipe)
- Remove leaves and peel kholrabi then grate in a food processor.
- Place a cotton napkin or clean dish towel into a bowl, then dump the grated kholrabi into the napkin/towel, SQUEEZE out all excess water, dump drained kholrabi back into a bowl
- Add the eggs, breadcrumbs, spices, salt and pepper, stir to mix.
- Heat oil in a large skillet to medium heat.
- In a separate pot start boiling your pasta water.
- Scoop out about 3-6 tbsp. of the mixture per patty into the now heated pan (you may want to make them smaller or larger if you are using them as a burger, appetizer, or side dish) – press down to distribute evenly, leave about 1 inch between patties
- In about 2 minutes check underneath the first patty – look for a golden brown color – if ready flip and cook other side about 2 minutes
- Place cooked patties on a cooling rack so they don’t get soggy.
- Repeat until mixture is finished.
- Drop pasta when water boils.
- When patties are finished cooking add some pasta water and garlic scape pesto to the pan.
- Heat your pesto until color changes to a light green.
- Scoop pasta into your bowl, add a few kholrabi fritters, slather with garlic scape pesto, sprinkle goat cheese on top, and enjoy!
This recipe yielded about 4-6 meals (if you include the pasta).