Beets are a root vegetable found in the spring/early summer at farm markets and in CSA shares.There are hundreds of beet recipes but this has become one of our all time favorites. You will need a grill basket/bowl/wok of some kind (and a grill). I have also made these in foil packets when camping.
- One bunch of beets
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper (or other various seasonings)
- Goat Cheese
- Chives or Scallions
1. Clean the beets in the sink – scrub off all dirt/sand and pull off any small roots
2. Do not peel (unless your beets are not organic)
3. Thinly slice into the grill bowl using a mandolin (the thinner you slice, the faster they cook)
4. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper (and a few crushed cloves of garlic, if you like)
5. Preheat the grill
6. Grill and toss every few minutes (you can let them get crispy or pull them once they soften)
7. Toss the beets with a bit more olive oil, pepper, goat cheese, and chives
Don’t forget about the greens!
You can use the beet greens too. I like to make them into greens and beans by sautéing them with garlic, broth, and cannellini beans then layer the mix over your favorite pasta.