What a great project! These really help me learn my students names and assess their skill levels. It teaches my students how to use a ruler, create a gird (important for our next project), use pattern, and learn what negative space is.
1. Create a 3 inch grid on 9 x 12 inch paper
2. Use shapes to create letters that touch all four sides of each square
For example: an “M” would use one triangle pointing down on the top and two triangles pointing up on the bottom
3. Erase the grid lines not used to define letters
4. Use markers to create patterns of at least 2 colors to fill in the negative spaces around the letters
5. Erase ALL lines
6. Mount on a 12 x 15 inch colored sheet of students choice